Founded in 2002 by the city-state of Monaco, Monaco Ports (SEPM), manages the ports of the Principality (Hercule and Fontvielle) as well as the new floating breakwater.
In 2016, in response to the ever-increasing demand for yacht berths and saturation in the ports of the Principality, Monaco Ports decided to create SMIP (Société Monégasque Internationale Portuaire) and purchased the nearby port of Cala del Forte in Ventimiglia).
The project was born from a desire to expand the company, but also aimed to push cross-border collaboration, create new jobs and demonstrate the company’s philosophy of sustainable port management, ecological responsibility, hospitality, service and security.
Cala del Forte, an exquisite, new state-of-the-art marina located in Ventimiglia is only 15 to 20 minutes from the Principality of Monaco (7,9 nautical miles). Protected naturally from the elements with a highly controlled access from the land, it is a perfect sister marina to the neighbouring Port Hercule and Port of Fontvieille.
Cala del Forte will be among the most advanced, best-equipped and secure ports on the Mediterranean as well. It currently hold the title of the longest concession in the Mediterranean with a duration spanning until 2094.
Regular maritime transfers will allow owners and their guests swift and exclusive access to the Principality.
- Only 7.9 nautical miles from Monaco
- Operated entirely by Ports of Monaco
- 178 Berths from 6,5m up to 70+ meters
- Storage facilities adjacent to the berths
- 24/7 mooring assistance by professionally staff
- 24/7 safety and security
- Electric golf cart transportation and delivery service
- Service delivered to the Monaco standard
- Light-Service shipyard for yachts up to 30m
- 39 shops
- 577 parking auto
- 15,000 m2 of promenades and gardens
- Longest concession in the Mediterranean (until 2094)
- Direct connection to the historical town of Ventimiglia Alta via cable car.
During the last Monaco Yacht Show, Monaco Ports’ Director General , Gian Battista Borea d’Olmo provided an update concerning the latest developments in Cala del Forte – Ventimiglia, the Monaco-based company’s newest marina project: “Construction in Cala del Forte continues in line with our objective as declared on multiple occasions: the maritime works shall be finished in the 4th quarter of this year. This summer, our teams worked practically non-stop, taking only four days off; The results achieved are notable. Currently the control tower is being constructed, and this landmark edifice is a reference point for everyone in the marina.
Looking back at past photographs it is easy to appreciate the constant progress we have made, and just how much we have already achieved with this project. The docks are paved, the bollards are in place and the electric connection boxes are installed ready for future yachts.
The shops are close to completion: for the spaces in the Eastern area, only interior finishing must be concluded. The lower level of our massive underground parking area is also approaching completion. I am certain that by the second quarter of 2020, it shall be visible to all why Cala del Forte is a reference for the entire coast, and our marina will act as a key point of connection between Italy, France and Monaco.”
- Construction of the breakwater (1) and outer walls (2) has been fully completed since December 2018. The major storm that hit the Ligurian coast in October 2019 tested the strength of our infrastructure and we are happy to report that Cala del Forte suffered no damage whatsoever. To date installation of the piping, cabling and technical infrastructure has been completed on the breakwater and the outer walls
- Construction of the Central Jetty (Molo d’Onore) (3), outer jetty (4) and “Pontile B” (5) is now complete. All of the bollards are on site and are currently being installed. The preparation of the underwater mooring infrastructure is currently underway.
- The central port office – Harbormaster office – Central Jetty (3) – is currently under construction and the foundation has been completed. Work shall be completed in 4th Quarter 2019.
- Shipyard: the piers and lifting basin have been completed (6) ready to accommodate the travel-lift capable of lifting yachts up to 30 meters. The 2,700 m² shipyard dock area is currently under construction.
- The fuel distribution dock (7) has been completed and four tanks (with a total of 150.000 liters of fuel capacity) have been installed inside bunker/isolation tanks;
- Dredging and leveling (8) to the final depth of the marinais underway.
To date 82% of the maritime works have been completed*.
(*on February 8th 2019, the Italian authorities issued full permission and documentation for Cala del Forte to be completed with an optimized mooring plan called ‘Variante 3)’.
On land works
- The elements that shall constitute the shops (9) as well as the East underground parking area are currently in an advanced status of construction (95%). The West shops and parking area (10) is currently under construction(25%).Work on these elements is scheduled to be completed in the 4th Quarter of 2019.
- Slope consolidation: Static testing of the structural works of the slope (11) have been carried out successfully. 100%of the slope consolidation is now completed.
To date, the 28% of the on land works have been completed*
(On February 8th 2019, the Italian authorities issued full permission and documentation for Cala del Forte to be completed with an optimized mooring plan called ‘Variante 3)’.
All structural and civil works have been contracted and works relating to architectural and landscaping design have been tendered. Urban works in “lungomare Marconi” are well underway.
Click here to read 2020 February’s edition of Europe Diplomatic Magazine